Subject: Re: [uk-netmarketing] RE: The Rules
From: Silas Denyer
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:06:25 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Winchester" <danatfreelancers [dot] net>
> The Internet is an open network of resources, each with its own unique
> address.
>
> Framed content is not uniquely addressable (within its frameset), and
hence
> 'breaks' the Internet.
>
> This is why framed content can't be:
>
> * spidered
> * emailed
> * linked to
> * referenced
> * logged
>
> ... in a straightforward/meaningful way.

All this criticism could be (and is!) equally levelled at other
technologies, e.g. content management systems (Broadvision being everyone's
favourite whipping boy on this front). Any system which relies upon an
application server and built-on-the-fly pages will not be indexable,
spiderable, emailable (sometimes, before anyone has a go at me -
Broadvision, for example, uses a Session code for personalisation, each
session expiring, hence is not bookmarkable), and so on.

Contrast that with a frames site where content is referenced by a "cgi"
address, which may well be unique.

The only generalisation to be drawn on this issue is that all
generalisations are invalid!