Subject: Re: UKNM: Banner creative and Yell awards
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 18:53:51 +0100

In my view if you are going to give awards for banner design then you
should do so based on results.

There is very little scope within the size of a banner for much ad
award-winning stuff, though there are certainly candidates for most
aesthetically-pleasing banner ad.

Results are achieved by providing a clear message, and an even clearer
call to action (usually, though not always, by using the words "click
here").

Banners can, of course, help drive brand awareness and should be
designed to reflect brand values.

If any award-givers need any help defining criteria for banner ad of the
year, I would be glad to help.

As to budgets, I can't see the point spending a huge wedge on creating
or recreating a Web site if you are not going to spend an equal or
greater amount on promotion it, either by banner advertising or by
online promotion.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan