Subject: UKNM: ATTENTION: New Business People
From: Clay Shirky
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 19:33:21 +0100

So here I am, getting ready to look for UK-based design agencies and
making a list of same to contact, and I have found on more than one
occaision that people are putting their contact information in GIF or
Flash format.

If you want my business, or the business of any large firm, be
prepared for a client's judgement of you to hinge on how well you take
care of the details of your own site. In particular, be prepared for
your potential client to want your contact info in their database.

This means we, the clients, want to be able to *cut and paste* your
contact info. Remember cut-and-paste? Xerox PARC? 1979? Like that? We
are not paid as well as we are to be typists, and if you think I am
going to appreciate your intro flash movie and then copy down your
name, address, email, mobile, ICQ number, postcode, and cat's maiden
name by hand because you are so in love with the look of your font
that you forgot to make your site useful for getting new business, you
are fucking daft.

I am making a list of web agencies to evaluate for site design
proposals. No site that does not have a link that says something like
"Contact Us" on the home page linked to a text version of the contact
info will be on this list. If you have this much contempt for your
potential clients, I shudder to think about your attitude towards
actual users.

-clay