Subject: Re: UKNM: ATTENTION: New Business People
From: Clay Shirky
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 13:14:02 +0100

> So. Either you're saying that your project is going to be the usual staid
> html and gifs or you're just too lazy to jot down a few lines of text.
>
> Which is it ?

Its both.

These projects are going to stress usability and convenience over flash
(in both senses of the word), *and* I am going to be just as impatient
with fuck-witted site desgn as my users are going to be. If you can't
design a site to be easy enough for me to use effortlessly, how are
you going to make something which a 43 year old in Surrey who just got
their freeserve account can use effortlessly?

> If the project isn't going to have a jot of originality involved
> then why should we bother worrying about it ?

You probably shouldn't - I suspect the functional spec would knock you
out of the running. I haven't got 10 seconds for anyone who thinks
that html and gifs are necessarily staid.

> If you are too lazy to spend 10 seconds with a pen and paper then
> what effort are you going to put into the project ?

It isn't a question of laziness - I have all the time in the world for
an agency who actually understands what makes a usable site.

-clay