Subject: UKNM: Flash - enough already
From: Robert Hamilton (brandwidth)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 18:47:23 +0100

Someone wrote:

> And perhaps this person would like to explain to anyone using a
> non standard*
> browser (say for example, if the user is partially sighted) why the
> ridiculous prediliction that some UK designers have for creating sites
> almost entirely in Flash is a *good* thing, and HTML is not?

Call for votes: anyone care to subscribe to "UK-separate-list-for-
ceaselessly-debating-the-fairly-obvious-pros-and-cons-of-HTML-against-Flash"?

It's been done luvs...Flash exists for a reason; it does some things that
HTML can't, won't and probably shouldn't. You can compare a bus to a car and
make either seem less desirable if you so choose...oh what's the use...the
people who didn't listen to any of the arguments before won't listen now...

Look, regardless of the technology involved, web design is easy. All you
have to do is:

a) think
b) get it right

Strangely, most of the good designers I know seem to arrive at (b) via (a).
Sometimes (b) involves Flash, sometimes it doesn't. As long as (a) was
visited en route, the results tend to speak for themselves.

* Also, if someone could explain to me what a 'standard' browser is, I'll
probably get a lot more sleep. As an aside, if any virus writers would like
to develop something that destroys all browsers except IE4.0 and above, I
know a coalition of developers who have several years' salary to donate to
the cause. You know who to call.

Robert Hamilton: robertatbrandwidth [dot] co [dot] uk
Creative Consultant, brandwidth
0171 697 0049 / 0973 989 208