Subject: UKNM: Fw: UKNM Digest V1 #213
From: Neil Aberdeen
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 18:51:01 +0100

>Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 13:50:21 -0000
>From: "Dorian Spackman" <doriansatterranovamedia [dot] com>
>Subject: UKNM: Re: UKNM ATTENTION: New Business People
>
>In regards to Clay's comments about the state of UK New Media industry.
>They seem to provoke feelings in me that I want to share:
>
>Some of you may know me, most of you won't, nearly all of you won't give a
>damn but I have to say that I agree with his sentiments somewhat.
>I believe that the internet is potentially the saving grace for certain
>regions of the world in their dealings on a business level both internally
>and internationally, against nations such as the US who are incredibly
>powerful in their trade and influence. An old adage is that there are no big
>or small companies on the web, just good and bad.

Some of you may know me, most of you won't, nearly all of you won't give a
damn but I have to say that I've never bothered to read such pompous, self
important shit in my life. Of course he's right. Putting contact addresses
so you can cut and paste them will change the balance of global capitalism.
(Although I don't think that's quite what he was saying. In fact I thought
he was being quite funny and spot on about a design detail that reflects an
attitude - which stung because our site commits the sin.)

>This list and a variety of it's members seem to be preoccupied with minutiae
>of the most facile type in some cases, I for one would relish the
>opportunity of having meaningful discussions in regards to things that
>really matter, not whether my site with its latest graphical niceties is
>going to attract more attention. If you want graphics look at www.eye4u.de
>they leave a lot of you for dead anyway. If you want to get on, why don't we
>start to discuss more important issues.

www.eye4u.de ? - try and check your url before publishing it - or is that
minutiae? And while we're about take the steaming turd out of your own eye -
graphical nicities? your site stinks. Everyone loves surface, even geeks who
see in wireframe love surface, (they just need to memorise what it is
they've been told that they like - only joking I know you're going to
inherit the earth)

>I'll start, why don't we try something progressive - The future of
>electronic commerce, is it business to consumer or business to business?

Or earth to Ork?

>It's not revolutionary but a point where the answer changes constantly and
>has done for the 5 years I've been involved in e-commerce.

What are you on about? The lottery?

>It should also provoke some of you into trying to actually sell the concept of doing
>BUSINESS over the web to your clients. I've got my own client base who have
>realised this and more are coming on board every week.

More and more clients every week? - talk about exponential growth. There's
no evidence of your client base on your site - all strictly confidential and
hush hush I take it. Nice move to make it oscillate between second-rate and
abysmal, that should throw everyone off the scent.

>Some of you don't even know how to
>integrate a database into the web, let alone how to put multi-delivery media
>business strategies together.

Ooh ohh stop hurting me. I can't help it if I lost the instructions. You
clearly have yours on how to teach people to suck eggs

>I could have used this list over the last couple of years to just look at
>you guys, research your client base and your weaknesses and attacked it from
>there. I haven't done this but it makes me wonder looking on sometimes if
>others may already be doing so.

I finally get it you are from Ork and you're going to attack our client
bases. Stay on target Red Leader. You've clearly never had a business
relationship so it'll come as quite a shock to you when you grow up.

>We as a nation have some of the most talented IT (Yes, IT not just design)
>people in the world (wasn't the idea of computing formulated here?) and I
>could scream as more and more US and European companies move in and take all
>the glory. We should be proud of our development and thought process
>abilities and out pushing ourselves, not sitting around bitching. I recently
>saw someone "laughingly" auction off the UK New Media industry on e-bay for
>about $28. I smiled for a few moments and then thought a bit more. It dawned
>on me that we have now reached the stage where we have become nothing more
>than a bunch of whinging poms, to coin a phrase. What a crock of s**t.
>Isn't it about time that we stood up and took note of what is going on? The
>web is for business, believe this or you might as well call it a day now. If
>you are involved in the "traditional" web development arena, it's about time
>that you started to realise that the reason the Yanks are moving in and
>buying you or squashing you is not because companies like WebMedia (sorry
>Sam) and the like were poorly funded and Razorfish was simply swallowed by
>someone larger. It is because you need to adapt to survive and we as an
>industry don't do this.

UK IT talent - oh you mean like ICL? - A lesson in blindness and reification
on how to destroy an industry through state organised monopoly and
stupidity. ICL - white goods supremacists who thought software was for
wimps(OOPS-oops). Or perhaps you meant the monomaniacs at Acorn? Whatever it
is you don't like people that sell out which seems a little rough given 'the
web is for business'. My hot tip is why don't you try becoming a
professional and selling services to others for a fee?

>just help yourselves by speaking to one of us.

Earth to Ork

>SORT IT OUT. We deserve to be amongst the best in the world in electronic
>business.
>
>BE WARNED. If you don't, I'm coming for you and so is Chuck from US WEB
>(remember Xplora?)

Chuck who? Chuck Jones? Chuck Yeager? for god's sake tell us

>Be Seeing you.

Not if I see you first etc etc

Neil Aberdeen
Tui