Subject: Re: UKNM: Google - A brave new marketing strategy
From: Jay
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:05:53 +0100

Marc Walker <epubattheso7 [dot] freeserve [dot] co [dot] uk> said:

> Has anyone tried the new search engine google.com?
>
> One of its founders, Larry Page, has been quoted saying "we have other
> ways of making money, you will see".
>
> Google have also stated that it will not become a portal nor will it
> hold any content.

8< snip

>From last week's Tasty Bits from the Technology Front (TBTF)
http://tbtf.com/archive/1999-07-08.html#s04

"Google [25] is currently among the most accurate and useful search engines
on the Web. TBTF profiled Google on 1998-05-11 [26] -- the first press
coverage for the site in English. (This was before its founders had left
Stanford.) Now Google emerges on the Netcenter portal [27], replacing
Excite. The deal makes perfect sense after Google's recent influx of $25M in
venture money [28] from (among others) Kleiner Perkins, a first-round
investor in Netscape. The company was also motivated to drop Excite after
the latter was purchased by @Home, a rival of Netscape's parent AOL.

Search.netscape.com is now my first stop for any Net search. Netcenter
combines Google's highly relevant results with its "open directory" listing,
to which thousands of amateur catalogers contribute.

First word on this story came from TBTF Irregular Gary Stock <gstock at
ingetech dot com>, whose company [29] watches the Web with a nanoscope. Gary
noticed google.netscape.com in his logs at 2:01 am (EDT -0400) on
1999-06-24.

[25] http://www.google.com/
[26] http://tbtf.com/archive/1998-05-11.html#s08
[27] http://search.netscape.com/