Subject: UKNM: Re: UKNM Digest V1 #220
From: Neil Aberdeen
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:25:42 +0100

>Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:53:03 +0100
>From: John Braithwaite <JohnBatGBGdirect [dot] com>
>Subject: UKNM: Flash - saviour of the Universe???

>Dorian,

>My email was not just a response to yours and yours wasn't the
>first to raise some issues about graphics v. speed. The 'Mars' was less
>to do with living on this planet, but more to do with a certain
>successful book about men and women.

Dorian, I've got to hand it to you, conceit and stupidity in equal measure

>The graphical issue is
>one that will not go away - I mean, would a good creative say to his/her
>website producer: "I think we need less graphics and more text and every
>box or line should have a square edge"? NO, and that's not really a
>creative's job. They want to do fun stuff that looks cool and gives them
>a good 'portfolio'.

The thing is that you don't really understand or think about design as a
process. You are betrayed by your use of old media terms to describe new
media development. The use of 'creative' as a noun is always arch and
affected and your use of it describes a dysfunctional process where graphic
design is abstracted from functional design. Denigrating design in this way
leads to sites that have to re-developed for poor reasons rather than good
ones. As developers of a number of Reuters web-borne applications I can tell
you that we know about performance, (Reuters sells on blocks of time) but we
are also there to develop the brand and make the site 'cool'. The
polarisation of Flash and old skool graphics is symptomatic of an arrogant
and broken process. (BTW Dorian, Reuters - famous the world over for their
CD ROMs)