Subject: Re: UKNM: RE: UKNM Digest V1 #220
From: Steve Mynott
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:39:57 +0100

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 03:15:24PM +0100, Ian Tester wrote:

> Non-Flash enabled browsers are *rapidly* becoming the exception - few people
> (and certainly not 40%) are incapable of downloading flash, although I do

I don't think its that people are incapable of downloading flash.

Downloading plugins costs the modem user money and time.

Many more knowledgable users are reluctant to download plugins and
the like for fear of causing future problems with their PC/Mac.
"If ain't broke .. don't fix it"

There is an arrogance here on the part of the company in assuming that
people are going to waste time, money and an unstable system in order
to be able to view that companies web site, when there are literally
millions of other pages available and a culture similar to TV channel
hopping with a remote.

> accept that people at work in companies with very strict IT policies won't
> have the option of downloading the plug in if they're using an old, and
> company-specified browser. Yes, a few people won't be able to use our launch

Probably quite a lot of people during the day are stuck in that
"Corporate IT hell". A lot of potential hits being lost there.

> site and we realise that and have calculated for that, but the vast majority
> will get serious benefit from our Flash-enabled features. And this group
> will grow as people bin old browsers, and more come online with new
> computers or new ISPs (or Clifford Chance replace their desktops).

Why not simply have a non-flash alternative and/or use Java?

--
1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott steveattightrope [dot] demon [dot] co [dot] uk http://www.pineal.com/
the first myth of management is that it exists. the second myth of