Subject: RE: UKNM: Flash - saviour of the Universe???
From: Tomski
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:37:02 +0100

> Good designers know how to make things which are good looking _and_
> easy to use. Anyone who puts desire for a portfolio piece in the queue
> ahead of this imperative should be fired at once.

the lack of attention to ease of use by many UK-based designers is not
necessarily (just) a portfolio-driven ego thing.

in my exp, young thrusting designers have been *trained* to expend most of
their creative energy developing an overarching design 'concept' for the UI
of whatever product they're designing - aka a
far-too-clever-for-its-own-good idea around which the real user needs of a
site are retro-fitted

the results? the utter bafflement of most punters.

also in my exp, the afflication ain't overly difficult to remedy - just make
aforementioned designer sit in on a session of user testing with a strip of
gaffer tape strategically postioned across his/her mouth.

worse case I've seen for a while?

www.chello.com

erm.