Subject: Re: UKNM: RE: UKNM Digest V1 #220
From: Clay Shirky
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:14:48 +0100

> Actually, we put in an enormous amount of research on this issue,
> unsurprisingly.

Which makes it all the more surprising that you came to the wrong
answer.

> Using Flash is a trade-off . . .however, we're using Flash not "for effect"
> but to give our customers some serious "value-add" features.

Look at your rhetoric here - trade-off, value-add. That is at odds
with what you are actually doing. If there is a trade-off to be made,
it is the _user_ and not you who should be making it. Let *me* decide
if I want access to Flash, and let *me* decide if I consider it a
value-add. Never forget that I dial in using Freeserve and am watching
my phone bill, and that I am unbelievably impatient, and never *ever*
forget that I am the one with the money in this equation.

I predict that within three months of launch you will have a non-Flash
version of the site, once you see how few users have the patience for
a Flash download. You could save yoruself a pile of trouble by
starting work on it now.

-clay