Subject: Re: UKNM: Worst Web-site sins
From: Steven Carlson
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:18:01 +0100

> I hate receiving automated acknowledgement emails - who
> needs more email to delete? The only acceptable solution is
> a prompt response from a person. If there's going to be a
> delay of a few days, then say so on the web page, not in
> another email.

I disagree. In some cases, an automated acknowledgement is quite
appropriate. For example, it's good to confirm an order by email, as the
email message can archived by the customer (something like a receipt).

Perhaps you're fed up with automated email, but then you're probably not
the typical Internet user. In my experience, a well-written, automated
acknowledgement email can effectively bridge the gap between the user's
action and your organization's reaction.

$0.02