Subject: UKNM: Question on logs
From: Giles Turnbull
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:58:18 +0100

Heidi wrote:
> don't be naive about registration. People *will* register quite happily...
> but only if your site is of value to them and they are incentivised.
>
> If you offer neither of these things (value or incentive) then there is
> limited reason to gather information on them in the first place.

Finding a site that I value doesn't mean I'm happy about having to register
for it. I end up registering for things (Newsunlimited, FT.com) because I
have to, but then I get annoyed when I'm away from my cookie'd PC and have
to log in, and cannot remember the password or username I used.

To me, registration is one of the biggest turn-offs you can put on the front
page of a site, no matter how inviting the content therein.

-Giles