Subject: Re: UKNM: Convincing others of the benefits of e-commerce
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:22:40 +0100

(I have already deleted my response to this for fear that members of this
list think me flippant on the issue. But thinking about it, I see no other
solution).

>> How do I convince my non-computer literature MD and Financial Director of
>> the potential benefits of e-commerce?

Get both directors in a room alone with you, slap each one hard around the
face and shout very loud "WAKE UP YOU STUPID OLD BASTARDS BEFORE YOU ARE
EATEN ALIVE."

The results must be one of the following:

1. The dust will fall off their bowler hats and umbrellas as they instantly
see the light from the dawn of the information age (okay, 20 years after it
happened, but better late than never)

2. They will both die of fright, leaving you free to take over the company
and redirect it into the 20th Century, hopefully in time for a further move
into the 21st.

3. You will be dismissed on the spot, leaving you free to go work for a
decent company

Seriously, anything short of shock tactics is at this stage in the game is
unlikely to work.

It really is just appalling that people are still able to masquerade as
company directors without even a scant knowledge of the importance of IT. I
still hear senior people in company management say that they "know nothing
about computers" as if it were some kind of virtue. These are the same
people that think a wordprocessor is something their secretary operates, and
if they ever got email, would get her to "do it" for them.

It does not require any technical knowledge of IT to read the FT, or any
other business journal. Here you will find plenty of discussion of IT
strategy without getting too much into the technical stuff.

People who are thick as two short planks should be barred from becoming
company directors. And boasting that you "know nothing about computers" is
the same thing.

Ray Taylor