Subject: Re: RE: UKNM: Bad search engines
From: Matthew Blake
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:40:22 +0100

MAA28861
Sender: owneratchinwag [dot] com

I always thought that the Yahoo only charged for 'express listings', in
other words if you pay your $199 you are guaranteed consideration for
inclusion in their listings within 7 days. My understanding was that this
wouldn't effect the editorial process at all, ie it doesn't ensure that you
will actually be included if your site isn't worthy and doesn't mean that
your placing will be any better than sites submitted that don't pay.
Furthermore, last time I looked into this it only related to e-commerce
sites that would come under the category of 'Business & Economy: (whatever)'
(hence Packard Bell being classified as Business & Economy: Business To
Business: etc etc). So for the vast majority (if not all) of their listings
it's all down to editorial discretion and is absolutely free.
The information supplied by Google is merely supplementary to their
directory, in much the same way as that which was supplied by Inktomi used
to be.

Matt B

Regards
Matt Blake