Subject: RE: UKNM: big ISP news
From: Paul Durrant
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 13:57:11 +0100

Craig Pickup wrote:

I do not know if this particular model from the ISP side will be viable or not
but I have heard of other ISPs in the near launch stage of offering free
access
and obtaining their revenue from a percentage of the telephone charges paid by
those accessing. Even though it will be a standard local dial number the
amount
of revenue they can obtain from the telco will be sufficient income to support
them.

Surely this model is going nowhere. In Europe we already pay too much
for local Internet access in phone charges. If anything deregulation /
competition means local call costs should come down. (or am I just over
optimistic) Doesn't leave much icing on the cake for the ISP - and I
understand its very thin as it is

Paul Durrant
Tarnlough Ltd.