Subject: RE: UKNM: Wasting time on tenders
From: freddy
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:07:42 +0100

| Contracts being pre-arranged is more common than you might think. There's a
| lot of it going on in all areas of media including TV, advertising and PR.
|
| Many companies have a policy that they have to include at least three
| companies in a tender but for political or 'preferential' reasons have
| already decided which company they will give the deal to. Unfortunately of
| course they still have to go through the process and we end up working our
| butts off

Is that why your collegues' boxer shorts fell off in the pool :-)

No on a more serious note, companies who play this sort of game, though
dispicable, probably have no idea what affect it has on web design houses,
especially the smaller ones.

I worked in a small house for a while and we would produce extremely
comprehensive pitches, and though the effort put into them often won us the
contract, it also wasted serious amounts of our very limited resources when
we were rejected. From what I have gathered, only the likes of OM can
command compensation for their pitches, so I would tend to agree that the
industry should simply be made aware of those who follow this practise. We
must pull together, not be pulled apart.

Fred

for nothing.