Subject: Re: UKNM: Credit card fraud
From: Steve Johnston
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:44:53 +0100

Nope, and I will be astonished if you manage to get any examples.

If in the unlikely event that you do, however, ask the following additional question:

"Did the consumer actually suffer a personal financial loss as a result?"

How about real examples when the transaction was insecure?

The point is that credit card details are terribly easy to come by, retailers have drawers full of counterfoils, complete with signatures, awaiting the 6 year Inland Revenue expiry before they can be dumped in the skip behind the shop - for someone else to root around for. The focus on acquiring, as opposed to getting-away-with-using, credit card information is evidence of dark forces at play, and agendas being padded. Common sense says that if as much energy was expended on managing fraudulent use rather than fraudulent acquisition the world would be a happier place.

Of course, at the IMRG we have all sorts of ideas on how to fix this....

Steve Johnston
Director of Development
IMRG