Subject: Re: UKNM: new data protection legislation
From: Craig Pickup
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:41:56 +0100

siobhan wrote:

> >As anyone here started looking at what the new data protection legislation
> >currently going through parliament will mean for their clients? From what I have
> >seen it will have a big impact on the on-line community.
>
> 80% of the new data protection act is the same as the old one - but call the registrar (tel 01625 545745) to get a copy of the new bill which has had it's 3rd sitting and should be in place from around october

Better yet get it online at:

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm199798/cmbills/198/1998198.htm

The reason for my original question is that I am running an online consultation for the Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology (with the involvement of the Data Protection Registrar's Office) on Data Protection. Currently there is little representation from the online community as opposed to business generally so it would help add to this if any of you do envisage seeing any problems online with the new legislation. For instance the restrictions on import of data outside the EU or the requirement to specify the use to which data will be put at the time of collecting it, etc.

Craig Pickup