Subject: UKNM: anyone got capital?
From: David Bentley
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:39:38 +0100

I would be interested to hear people's views on why independently funded
e-commerce (or content) sites are quite few and far between?

It seems that lastminute.com and QXL are doing pretty well and have pretty
high exposure, but I would have thought there would be a boom in start-ups
with the pretty awesome increase in the UK online community over the past
year. Instead I see the traditional retailers and businesses (or the US
internet retailers) making the tentative steps and allowing them to start
to cement their position in this new marketplace in the consumers' mind.

Is it the same old story of the financial community not investing in UK
start-ups? Or is it that the size of the UK market still isn't big or
mature enough to justify and find reasonable return for start-up
businesses? New economy or just a new media?

On a postcard please.

David