Subject: Re: UKNM: anyone got capital?
From: Simon Wadsworth
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:30:52 +0100

> From: "Ray Taylor" <tayloratnmcadplan [dot] com>
> To: <uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com>
> Subject: Re: UKNM: anyone got capital?
> Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:11:53 +0100

> If you ask capital funders why they don't invest in new media startups they
> will tell you that for the most part the people who are starting them do not
> have a clue how to start up and grow a new business, how to write a business
> plan, how to talk to potential investors, etc.

Agreed. From a personal perspective of raising reasonably significant
sums from private investors for the development of BNM, there is only
one plan that experienced investors are interested in - the Exit
Plan. Too often people try to raise money from private sources
without a clear route to the investor receiving their return. This
makes you answer tricky questions about value and how to get this
through sale/IPO.

It is possible to convince investors to part with
hard earned (or otherwise) cash but a good idea alone is unlikely to
succeed. A track record and incredible financial reporting mechanics
in place, go a long way.

Also it is a mistake to just see investors as the people who fund the
business. I am just as interested in investors for their experience,
contacts and business understanding as for their cash. Most New Media
co's are started by people like me (under 35) who need not only the
cash to get going but the help of people who have grown businesses
from zero to 10Million + enterprises.

Anyway, enough of my rambles but I thought the above might be useful
having been through this.

Simon Wadsworth
Brand New Media Ltd
01132 89 0660