Subject: Re: UKNM: free local calls baloney
From: Clay Shirky
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:15:47 +0100

> Actually, the thing that winds me up about all this unmetered baloney is
> that access may be unmetered in the US but it's not free - subscribers pay
> fairly large monthly rentals for the privelege of unmetered local calls

Hogwash.

I live in NYC - a pricey town, as you may have heard, and I have two
phone lines. I pay 8 pounds 56 in for both lines, and thats it for
"montly rental" - all other costs are local connects at someplace
between 2.3 pence and 6.6 pence per call, depending on the time of
day.

> pick up a handset in a US home right now and there's a decent chance
> you won't get a line out of the exchange.

Also wrong - the capacity crunch is not at the local switch, where the
connect rate is nearly perfect - the capacity crunch is for intra-urban
connections like NY-SF during peak hours, which, ironically, is just
the sort of scenario that voice-over-ip will help ameliorate.

-clay