Subject: Re: UKNM: spam ! the PM cornic relief and online promotion
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:00:38 +0100

>If you want to make a difference without any effort on your part read on:-
>
>The Prime Minister and the Chancellor have told Comic Relief that if they
>can prove that enough people want to cancel the debt owed by Third World
>Countries, they will act to stop the suffering. So just call the number
>below and add your name to the telephone petition
>
>Freecall 0800 55 66 96

When I last spoke to Tony about this he told me that he was quite happy to
cancel the debt but thought it ought to be something that comes from the
people, not the PM's office. If he ordered cancellations, all of the Tory
press would slag him off for spending taxpayers' money. If the taxpayers
make it clear that they are prepared to pay the money themselves there is no
problem. The voice of the people will prevail and the people's Prime
Minister will act and we will all get 1p on our tax at our own request.

Of course if less than 50% of the population call that number, then we can
leave each of the ones that are in favour of the cancellation to put up the
funds to pay off the debts themselves. And as Saint Bob was saying, it ain't
much money anyway.

However, to bring the discussion back to the world of online marketing, how
about some input of time and effort to help resolve the problem? Or perhaps
I am being naive and this is really just about a bunch of forgotten old
has-been rock stars and actresslets telling us that they are still alive and
available for charity gigs.

Here are a few ideas for people that want to do more than moan about the
problem and blame it on "the government" or "capitalism."

1. The political angle. Is there a site that explains the background to
third world debt? Is there a means of pledging real support to the camapign
or is there just that silly token free phone number? Perhaps someone could
put something together.

2. A sponsored email campaign. Not the cheapo spam effort mentioned in the
asks people to pledge support by giving their name, address, email address.
A magazine publisher could offer to pay a sum of money for every person who
allows them to send promotion info about their products, for instance.
Supporters could agree to allow their details to be used for future
promotions (limiting them to say one per month, limiting subject areas,
etc).

This would of course allow the compilation of an extensive, promotional
email list database, with limited-use rules, that could be rented or sold to
raise funds to help build the campaign and/or contribute to meeting the
debt.

Then again, all this sounds much too much like too much effort. Easier to
just sign a petition and nod in agreement with the Guardian article.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan