Subject: Unsolicited "newsletters" (was Re: UKNM: FW: TIMOTHY)
From: Peter Borg
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:35:12 +0100

> I'm no expert on data protection guidelines but when I opt in for
> emails about travel offers, I don't expect to get a hard sell on my
> own domain name.

I ended up recieving the LastMinute newsletter despite very carefully
checking the "don't send me anything under any circumstances ever"
box when I entered my details

> Was your newsletter also missing the vital unsubscribe information
> like mine?

Can't speak for Tim, but most of mine have the unsub instructions
on....

> The lastminute.com newsletter is a mess nowadays - far too much
> clutter. Permission marketing blown apart by a desperate need to
> make money.
>
> I have unsubbed.

Good luck. I tried several times to unsub by email, but after umpteen
attempts and three LastMinute newsletters in one day (I kid you not)
I phoned them up and asked them politely but firmly to take me off
their mailing list.

I haven't received anything in the last few weeks, so fingers crossed
this worked.

However, it's indicative of the apparent apathy with regard to such
systems. I gave up completely on Hotmail after getting so totally
spammed despite having never given my email address to any commercial
organisation. This is post M$ takeover of course.

LastMinute's list server doesn't work on unsubbing - or at least
didn't for me - despite having followed instructions to the letter
several times.

I've had similar problems with at least four other organisations when
trying to unsubscribe, and no less than five times have been
subscribed to something unsolicited.

When are companies going to get this one right? As time goes on,
people are going to be less receptive to this kind of thing, not that
anyone is particularly receptive to junk email.

I now use a different email address every time I have to enter one
somewhere (I urge everyone to get their own domain name - they are
wonderous things, and cheap - and sign up to a domain management
service that offers email forwarding. There are plenty that do it
free). It's very effective in tracing who has sold your email address
to a third party :-)

Peter.

=====
--