Subject: RE: UKNM: great ad, bad marketing?
From: Peterson, Jonathan
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:10:58 +0100

> Tim....re:graduates....is it there fault, or are the theories
> that we teach
> them so outdated due to the fact that the majority of
> lectures have not
> 'worked' in any industry for over a decade! This industry in
> particular
> needs to play a more pro-active role in education, so that we
> stop getting
> people that still thing that a SWOT analysis and sticking the
> however many
> Ps you can remember will serve you good!

I don't really subscribe to this view. It is not the job of universities to
provide inudstry with a nice supply of pre-formatted workers. It's the job
of universities to improve the mental faculties of their students.

No matter what you teach them, graduates will have a huge amount to learn
when they start work. I look for people with the ability and _INTEREST_ in
learning that they will need. The last thing I want is some 20 year old who
did a 'Java Servlets in the Web Environment' module at university and will
now attempt to start every customer job thinking he knows just how to go
about this. I'd far rather have a student who was taught proper programming
techniques in Haskell or some other quirky and mind-expanding language, and
is now keen to learn not only about PHP/Java/Vignette/Perl/etc but also
about all the other stuff that goes with actually doing work for customers.

What I _would_ like to see are more work placement options as part of
University courses, so graduates have at least some experience of real work.

The other thing the industry is sorely lacking is any concept of training
staff. People will pay an agency thousands and thousands to find an employee
with relevant experience, but won't even consider giving a junior employee
money for a training course or even a weeks paid leave to let them teach
themselves. Of course decent training courses are rather thin on the
ground.... there's a business opportunity for someone....

"Talk to COLT about your high bandwidth, Internet and Web hosting
requirements"

http://www.colt-telecom.com