Subject: RE: UKNM: Publishing on the internet
From: Leslie Bunder
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:48:39 +0100

don't know about research, but look at what the likes of Emap, IPC, Future
et al are doing. Some were slow to start and dipped their toes in the water
a few years back, others have become very good at adapting material to the
online world and some others are stil very weak at doing it.

Tradionally, (ie: if we look a few years back), publishers would invite the
likes of AOL and CompuServe (when they were not one of the same) to fight it
out with a chequebook to who gets their content. Those were the days when
CompuServe would spend a huge amount of money to get the publisher
associated with their service and give them money. Of course that money was
useful to help the publisher build up their own skills with the Web so they
could eventually migrate to the Web.

I have heard (first hand...) of some publishers who got very nice six figure
sums to be associated with certain online services. Ah...those were the
days...

The biggest problem for publishers is when they re-hash content for the Web
without fully understanding that they Web is a different medium from print
and what works well in print, does not always work well on the Web. It's
like when you get sites that have very long articles, tons of pictures and
it takes ages to view the page...

Most publishers are realising this now.

The good thing is that if we start using hindsight, we can realise what
works well and what doesn't.

Leslie