Subject: Re: UKNM: Arse
From: Tim.Hayward
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:18:58 +0100

I gave up lecturing at my old college when I found myself standing at the
podium
staring into the dead eyes of 200 soulless yuppie fucks.

I could never work out how a hotbed of student radicalism had become a
greenhouse for aspirational vampires. In reality, I suppose I was the last
generation paid for with public funds, but the change was disorientatingly
swift.

Sometimes, though, I get the same feeling talking at industry functions.

What I find exciting about this industry is its ability to sneak under the
radar
and destroy unnecessary traditional structures. The government is quietly
rewriting the most repressive pornography laws in any non-Muslim country
just
because the web makes them unsustainable. Napster is silently destroying the
non
value-adding, parasitic layers of the music industry. The ad industry is
rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. The web has given ordinary people
encryption strong enough to guard their own privacy from state intervention.
Broadcast giants are losing their power as the consumers use new
technologies to
control their own consumption. I just had a meeting with Beenz, a structure
which happily admits it is silently undermining taxation and international
exchange. The medical establishment is running scared of peer support groups
and
self diagnosis. Estate agents are an endangered species. Even legal advice
is
being commoditised.

The last time things were this good sailors from the Potempkin were breaking
old
ladies glasses.

The only trend that matters is that the web puts power in the hands of
consumers
and cuts out middlemen. The web is like Darwin at light speed.

So why does most of our 'Industry' want to ape dinosaurs? I'm all for
bringing
the ad industry crashing to its knees but that doesn't mean that I get the
Ferrari and the coke habit... it means that the economy has caught up with
an
unsustainable model and killed it.

Egg's valuation is based on its ability to be as big as a traditional bank
with
less costs.

But the reality is that Egg can't fill a bank shaped niche because the niche
no
longer exists. Customers have moved on. Evolution has happened. The poor
dumb
chimps that banks have been ripping off for centuries just evolved an
opposeable
thumb and are using it to hit the enter key - flipping between accounts at
terrifying speed.

That's why the .com frenzy wasn't the beginning of the New Economy, it was
the
last death struggle of the old one.

Greedy but ill-informed investors thought that .coms could be as profitable
as
traditional companies but with lowered costs. They invested accordingly.

The reality is that they will never be as profitable or as large. They don't
need to be. And the spare change goes back to the customer.

74% of American students believe they will be millionnaires. Nobody asked
them
what percentage thought they could change the World but I'll bet it was
around
3%. The strange thing is that in reality the web show little sign of making
many
people very rich at all. On the other hand it has enabled some surprisingly
ordinary people to fuck with governments, religions, big businesses.

It would be nice if people realised this. When I talk to a roomful of
students,
I want to let them know the power the web can give them. What a rotten shame
that all they want to know is how to make money out of it.

Subscribe to more shit like this at http://3mew.listbot.com/