Subject: Re: UKNM: this may be a false alarm, but....
From: Duncan Macmillan
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:52:49 GMT

It's not (as far as we can work out) technically possible to scrub your hard
drive just by opening an email. It would be possible to include an HTML file (a
web page) in an email that worked in a frameset, which called a child frame from
another site which called a frame which called a frame ... forming a loop that
crashes your computer. But that's a risk that goes with viewing any web page.

Of course, you can attach a virus to an email, but you'd have to open the
executable yourself.

--
Duncan Macmillan

Ranked No.1 ISP - Internet
Winner of Internet Magazine January 1998 Web Design Challenge

"Adding rooms to a house is a really bad way to build a skyscraper."