Subject: Re: UKNM: Creativity
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:57:43 GMT

Kyle quite rightly said:

>If the web is to develop as a commercial entity, those of us who are
>'wired' need to sell it to the 'un-wired', so we'd be wise to remember how
>to speak their language. The learning curve for creativity is very fast -
>the best web sites are testimony to this. But has that been a good enough
>reason for everyone else to improve their sites. Unfortunately, and not
>surprisingly, no.

I'm tempted to agree, but we are getting into the realms of the chicken and
the egg here.

For example there are many who consider a mere presence enough - and most of
these guys have the same sites they commissioned 3 years ago (kinda like the
guys who spent thousands on a mobile phone in the mid-80's, and hung
stubbornly onto their bricks despite much better products being available
for much less money). Who can blame them for being a little jumpy?

However, our product has a higher 'sizzle' factor for clients - this can
compensate (BUT only if we use a little style - ie creativity).

This kind of development will always be questioned by the bean-counters, but
the fact remains that props & mocks are *far* cheaper in this medium - PLUS
this medium has more undiscovered promise than any other (both in
applications and talent base). This I feel gives a dual motivation for as
much exploration as possible.

By the way, if new media is such a big and scary animal - why does
traditional media keep pinching our themes and icons?

Tim Ireland
tim [dot] iatvirgin [dot] net

MONDOVISION
Freelance Copywriting
http://business.virgin.net/tim.i/index.htm
"Domain Name = Pesonalised Number Plate"