Subject: Re: UKNM: Promiting Web Sites without spending Millions
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:28:32 GMT

Tim Dunton asked:
>Can anyone give me some advice and maybe tips on promiting web sites
>without spending millions launching a nation wide campaign? We have already
>tried targetted emailing and links swaps which have given us very good
>results although we are looking for ideas to push traffic much higher.

I assume you are referring to your (very useful) product '2b':
>2b - The UK's Leading Portal. - http://www.2b.co.uk

I would suggest you register it with 'Finderseeker' (search engine for
search engines) for a start:
http://www.finderseeker.com/

Secondly (and here comes the Catch-22) you need a load of field traffic to
get top results each time someone enters 'search uk' in their current search
engine.

Multiple intro pages might prove effective here, each with their own
specific meta tag along different search lines.

You could also sponsor a hot 'novelty' site that already gets substantial
traffic - to the point of offering them hosting and a domain name. This has
the effect of getting their traffic into your field (thereby boosting your
placement in many engines).

You might also wish to make overtures to ISPs to get listed on their 'search
engines' page. You offer a useful product - who knows?

There are many more *sneakier* ways - but if I tell you here then everybody
will know... and where's the fun in that?

;)

Tim Ireland
tim [dot] iatvirgin [dot] net
MONDOVISION
Freelance Copywriting
http://business.virgin.net/tim.i/index.htm

PS - The UK lacks a decent (specific) search engine! Congrats on finding a
great niche in the market.