Subject: Re: UKNM: remove VAT from buying computers and using the Net...
From: Steve Mynott
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:37:03 GMT

SUNW,SPARCstation-5
Sender: owneratchinwag [dot] com

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 02:55:59PM -0000, Lee Bryant wrote:

> please speak for yourself when you say libertarianism is the politics of
the
> net -- that's total bollocks. The politics of the net is the politics of
the
> wider world; just because the net developed out of the US military
> industrial complex and the Californian Ideology doesn't mean it stays that
> way. The UK and Europe have already brought their own ideas and cultures
> online, so too are others. Wait for China to come online and then say
> 'libertarianism is the politics of the net'.

Presumably by saying the net was born out of "Californian Ideology" you
are admitting the strength of libertarian ideas amongst many of those
involved?

Historically these ideas have been associated with many in the UK
(Manchester School of Liberalism) and many of the German liberal
thinkers, so dismissing these ideas as purely American is wrong.

I don't agree that the UK and Europe have made a significant cultural
impact on the web either, since the vast majority of popular web
sites are American based.

China is scared of the net and with good reason. It transends national
boundaries, makes censorship impossible, weaks individual states and
through the technological possibility of anonymous untaxable e-commerce
may contain the seeds of the state's destruction.

This is why libertarianism is the politics of the net.

--
1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott steveattightrope [dot] demon [dot] co [dot] uk
http://www.pineal.com/

in the force if yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in
the proper order then why can't he?