Subject: Re: UKNM: Chicken tonight tonight!
From: Ken Cowley
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:34:45 +0100

This actually looks like one of those agency tests of a new medium -
equivalent to trying to get an 'off the page' for a new mag to see how it
compares with whatever data they've got to go on for previous publications,
as a sanity check on distribution and readership claims. The PR to be first
out of the traps is a great bonus (for the agency, probably).

You can't get more basic than 'press a button and you'll get a brochure'.
This is a cheap way to test it out versus response rates for other stuff on
'proper' TV - phone in on 0800, send an SAE, whatever. After all interacting
isn't new - only the mode of interaction (click rather than dial). I'd have
thought you'd want such a baseline before trying anything more elaborate
like an interactive mortgage calculator or whatever cunning stunts HHCL can
think up for Tango.

Chicken Tonite is a great medium for this as it's theoretically a true mass
market thang and wouldn't narrow the sample right down to 'those members of
the audience for digital who are contemplating buying a car right now' which
is where you'd get to if you tried a more 'sophisticated' example. The
reaction to interactive, one presumes, is going to be similar to DM, i.e.
[proposition] x [relevance at the time] (why you get mailed the same
proposition again and again).

What was the rate for this ad is a more interesting question - are TV
channels going to accept the rod for their own backs that is 'per mil click
through'?