Subject: RE: UKNM: who's updating what and how ??
From: Julie Pearce, Mediasurface
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 12:33:21 +0100

I think you've got an interesting point here Greg. To give over full
publishing rights to "any old Joe" within an organisation would obviously be
a stupid thing to do. And this is where content management becomes a bigger
issue than Word integration, web-based forms and publishing wizards.

This is why access rights and sign-off processes are so important - so that
content contributed to the site is subject to review and sign-off from the
more savvy, and that it doesn't just become one huge free for all.

I think that there is a real business case for moving away from a
traditional print/publishing model where you go through very linear
processes to, as you say, duplicate off-line content.

Here's a thought... working on the basis that, in general, business users
are getting a little bit more web-wise (OK - no shouting please - I didn't
say Mastermind candidates!) and that we're also considering Intranets and
Extranets in this discussion, why should the Web be a place that offline
information is duplicated to? Why can't we think in terms of information
originating at web level for use in other mediums thereafter ?

Jules

Greg wrote:-
> The main point for me is that putting the responsibility for getting
content online in the hands of people who are producing the traditional
content will not always create the best Web content. I think that content
placed online should be created specifically for the Web and fear that
handing content management to people who are only used to using Word will
not lead to the best online content. I agree that this does not always apply
(in instances where you *really are* just looking for duplication of
off-line content), but why not make the most of what the Web has to offer
users?

MEDIASURFACE 2.0
ENTERPRISE CONTENT MANAGEMENT
http:\\www.mediasurface.com
Julie Pearce :: Marketing Manager :: Mediasurface Limited
0171 967 9002
julieatmediasurface [dot] com