Subject: Re: UKNM: More webwashing
From: Talbot & Nagel Advertising
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 15:32:12 +0100

>let's take the situation of magazines. in many, if not most, cases ads in
>magazines add value to the content. vogue wouldn't be vogue without
>high-gloss fashion advertising, and computer shopper would lose its
>compelling sales-point if it wasn't a telephone directory of PC prices.
>when have ever seen an ad banner that added value to a site?

You can't stop there! The Sunday Times magazine wouldn't be the same without
adverts for "limited edition samurai swords'" & sofas. And FHM simply
wouldn't be the best selling magazine in England without ads for shampoo.
Oh, and lets not forget The Sun - it may not be a mag, but I'd never get
past Page 3 if it weren't for the Comet Price Index in the Home Front
section.
:-)

Generalisations are one thing, but don't make them just because you can't
think of other examples.
Ads are placed because the spot/page/insert/whatever fits the target
audience for the product/service. It's a very good idea to make advertising
that adds to the content of a media. Some does. Most doesn't. Banners should
do more. But that's about all you can say, generalising.

Kyle.

T A L B O T & N A G E L A D V E R T I S I N G

121 van Leyenberghlaan 1082 GD Amsterdam
T +31 (0) 20 661 0691 F +31 (0) 20 661 0697
postattan-advertising [dot] demon [dot] nl