Subject: RE: UKNM: UK is leader in e-commerce
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:40:35 +0100

On Tuesday, May 18, 1999 2:49 PM, Tomski [SMTP:tomattomski [dot] com] wrote:
> read 'clueless academic sees crappy boosterish e-commerce research as a
> route to funding'
>
> absolute rubbish, as the person who wrote the article below now understands

I partly agree, Tom, but just a touch on the harsh side don't you think! Ok,
it's not rocket science that has produced the results, and it could hardly be
considered comprehensive research, but I do like snippets of the article,
particularly the bit about needing to offer good service to get repeat custom.
Whether or not repeat custom is an issue for some companies is another matter
(how many TV's have you bought in the last 2 years?) but it may lead to word of
mouth referrals, which is a Good Thing (TM).

Now what would be a disaster as a result of this article would be the use of
the listed sites as the ultimate benchmark against which all e-commerce sites
should be judged. I think some of the sites listed are actually a pain to use
and avoidable at all costs. So as soon as I hear, "well our site is better than
theirs, and theirs is apparently in the top 10 best sites in the world," I'll
be ranting. But if I hear, "Our site isn't very good compared to these other UK
sites, and we want it to be better," then I'll whip out my
autoquotecontractinvoiceatron(TM) and the deal's a good-un.

Robin
--
Robin Edwards
Clockworx Design Limited