Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: UKNM: Dirty Tricks in the UK web industry?
From: Tom Hume
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:28:14 +0000 (GMT)

This does seem to be going round in circles a bit, unless anyone else is
particularly interested in this thread (Sam?) I suggest we move it to
email...?

> Look again, the perception, because a 'creative' image is shown in both
> cases, is that you were both responsible for the 'creative' work because
> the work done was not described.

Well we could show a picture of our server or some of our staff doing HTML
but I doubt it would sit well alongside the rest of the Revolution mag ;)
There's no reference in our (or indeed, most other web agencies') listing
there to suggest we're responsible for the creative work (though if I
remember correctly, we did contribute to that side of things) - we are
principally a production house.

>Wrong again. There is a link to something called Amarati Puris Lintas which
>opens up a tennis site. Not quite an openess I'd expect your clients to get
>to grips with.

We're getting more into design here; it's fairly normal for a web company
to link off to client sites, APL are a client, ergo they're there. You may
have highlighted a labelling issue which I'll have a chat to our designers
about - perhaps we should be more explicit there.

> >the contrary, but I am an industry insider, and I am confused. What hope so
> >your clients have? I know that APL stands for Asdfkljsd Purdflkgj Lintas or
> >something, but even they didn't put their full name in the said portfolio.

The main page of our site links to a variety of clients; I'm sure that if
visitors don't recognise the name Ammirati Puris Lintas, they'll have
heard of Kylie, Whitbread, or Audi. Having said that a lot of our work
comes from the advertising industry, who presumably will be able to make
the connection between Ammirati Puris Lintas and APL.

If we're going to really go for it on the labelling front I'd be pointing
out that Ammirati Puris Lintas and APL Digital are not the same thing, of
course...

>I am assuming that this portfolio was intended for something other than
>industry preening. Correct me if I am wrong.

Whatever it's intended for, it certainly serves a purpose as a platform
for UK New Media companies to present themselves, and did it well (IMHO).

>BTW, it was a complete coincidence, Tom, what with this being your thread,
>that the example I chanced upon was your own 'good' firm.

Ooh you cheeky little punster ;)

Tom

PS #include <disclaimer.h>
---