Subject: Re: UKNM: freeserve [cheaper bandwidth please]
From: Nick Sellors
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:37:37 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:01:22 -0000, "Robert Henderson"
<rhenderatonlinemagic [dot] com> wrote:

>>Longer term will people put up with a dribble of data coming down the
>>line at a whopping 78 bytes/sec as I was getting recently from a
>>certain ISP? I know NTL won't be offering fast access next year with
>>their analogue TV/Internet combo but I would hope and pray that C&W
>>are planning to offer cable modem access with their offering.
>
>But when NTL launch their digital service next spring, you'll be getting
>3Mbps into your set-top-box.

I do hope that there's nobody on this list that seriously thinks
you'll get 3Mb/s of *internet* connectivity into these devices,
certainly not beyond the realms of the PoP you're connected to.

If you *do* think that, you need to get your calculators out and do
some basic math.

HTH

N.

--