Subject: Re: UKNM: Lord save us from tampax banners on the web....
From: Zelda Rhiando
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 16:10:35 +0000 (GMT)

'sanitary hygiene' ads (let's not name brands here) don't shock me; they
irritate me - mainly due to the poor content and execution that all too
frequently characterises them. I don't believe their promises, and feel
patronised by their tone.

If however, the approach were backed up by a comprehensive and useful site
that told me what I need / want to know about health, etc; then I wouldn't
have a problem with banners encouraging people to visit it. What does bug
me is a mentality that is so conditioned to think in terms of 'click
through rates' and 'content' - that it forgets that the web is an ideal
medium to actually give something useful to consumers, rather than relying
on eye candy to convince them to buy products.

knee jerk reaction? I *hope* not

These companies could probably give valuable services to women (and men too
for that matter) in terms of providing information, advice, etc - value
added services which would back up their brands much more effectively than
banner ads . . . unless the

>This ISN'T a female thing but why on earth would anyone be perturbed
>by such advertising. It blows my mind that someone would! (and the
>reasons why)
>
>I guess the first time a Tampax advert arrived on our TV screens (this
>is where we hope www is going) you may have also been shocked. The
>internet NEEDS to be more consumer - surely!
>
>GEEEZZZZ.

>> >You have to be joking, these are exactly the bread and butter revenue ads
>> >that this media is missing in the UK:
>>
>>http://www.fastsummit.com/adgallery/adgallery7_31_98/ad_of_day/8_20_ad_index
>> >.htm
>> >
>> >Personally I can't wait for these, washing powder, toilet paper, toothpaste
>> >and toilet cleaner.
>> >
>> >Procter & Gamble, Lever Brothers & Kimberly Clark spent over �216 million
>> >pounds on advertising last year. If just 1% of that was spent on Banners,
>> >then the Internet advertising market would rise 14%.
>> >
>> >So don't be negative about these guys.... We love them!
>>

>> <FILTER="irony" VALUE="full"> And whilst we're at it why don't we rid the
>> web of all those pesky user pages?</FILTER>
>>
>> >Philip Rooke
>> >'Advertising' Sales Director
>> >Carlton Online
>> >t:0171 663 3682