Subject: UKNM: BearBox, secure? - May be not...
From: pete bresser
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:57:11 GMT

> The BearBox is relatively secure, but might suffer in this country
>from the fact that the chances are it contains something of some value
(may
>even be a high value in some cases) and is thus a major temptation to
those
>of a criminal persuasion.

The value doesn't have to be that high either. Here's a little story to make
the point:

An old(ish) couple close to where I live decorate the outside of their house
every Christmas with Santas, elves, fairy lights - y'know the kind of thing.
The house has proved a bit of a local attraction and sad muppets - sorry -
people come to gawp at this bungalow-cum-Yule-tide-grotto.

Realising that it was becoming a popular early evening activity to bring
kids along to see the lights, the couple did a noble thing: They put a small
collection box in the front garden for people to leave small donations to
the Ellinor Trust charity. Ahh!

They weren't collecting much - just a few quid really. The first box was
lifted in dead of night after about a week. Realising that 'an element' was
likely to take it again, the couple chained the next one down to the
concrete drive. Add a set of bolt cutters to this scenario and you can guess
the rest. This didn't happen is some run down city ghetto or a 'Newtown',
but is a small village in Kent, 800 people max.

All in all, a 'secure box' on the side of your house is a temptation too
great to ignore by pond-life.

Regards

Pete Bresser,
Visionet New Media Marketing Ltd.
See us on the web - http://www.visionet.co.uk
Promoting and integrating the real world with the Web

Seminars, exhibitions, networking events, parties, conferences.
Finding it difficult to keep up and plan ahead?

Sign up for Chinwag's weekly new media events newsletter,
all the events you need to know about, direct to your inbox.

http://www.chinwag.com/uk-netmarketing/e_index.shtml