Subject: RE: UKNM: spiders / page impressions
From: Teddie (*\\*)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:57:20 GMT

Ian

"tell me that you're not implying that people should welsh
their impressions numbers by including spiders in the traffic stats"

I believe that in a lot of cases you might not have any choice in this
matter.

Yesterday I found Scooter (AltaVista's spider) being identified as a
Mozilla Browser. If I hadn't done an RDNS lookup on it because of some
strange browsing patterns and found its IP address coming from AV.com we
would never have known. Infact is it possible that unknown Spiders could
account for up to a 1/4 of the traffic on some sites.

ABC will still have problems confirming legit site statistics, as even they
are relying on the fact that the honest Spider writers/owners are using the
robots.txt file and using distinguishable Agent names to declare
themselves. If they're not then spotting strange browsing patterns doing
RDNS and Block lookups for the parent domains or filtering all your logs
through lists of know spider IP's (which change daily) is the only way to
get even semi accurate statistics.

Teddie
Neutralize (*\*)
Independent Online Marketing Services
T: +44 (0)1209 210910
F: +44 (0)1209 210910
M: +44 (0)7970 128885
E: teddieatneutralize [dot] com
U: http://www.neutralize.com
List your inventory in the UK section of TheAdStop.com
Offices: USA | UK | China | Korea | India | Russia
http://uk.TheAdStop.com Directory of Internet Advertising!