Subject: UKNM: Streams of Conciousness
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:31:23 +0100

As a new-media revolutionary, I find this a fairly entertaining piece of
old-media people totally failing to get it.

"Linking to content is theft!"

http://www.wired.com/news/news/business/story/15486.html

These must be the same people who want to make cutting the adverts out
of stuff you record off the telly illegal.

The point being of course, that in our bright shiny new universe,
providing a desired stream, and then forcing the consumer to swallow
the hated advertising along with it, won't work.*

So what do you do?

1. Imagine new forms of advertising. Banners are popular with old-media
people because there's a simple analogy with a full page ad in a
magazine, or a 30 second commercial. The days of treating your audience
as chained victims you can force feed junk along with their content are
over. http://www1.lowedigital.co.uk/news/96-12/adavoid.htm (the report
itself used to be on the web, but they seem to have removed it).

2. Give people things that they want to play with, tools that they want
use. If you have to splurge your beloved brand across it, sponsor the
whole site. Advertisers will have to work harder, be more imaginative,
draw people in. They might even have to pursuade the manufacturers to
work a little harder too.

but above all stop whingeing. The solution to ad-avoidance and
irritation is providing intrinsically interesting advertising, not
complaining about 'those pesky consumers.' If you see it as a war 'with
them' rather than with your own competitors, you're dead already.

or at least I hope so.

* The funny thing about this article is I can think of at least 5 or 6
different ways in which the content could be protected so that
bookmarking/linking would be impossible.

stefan.
--
/**
Stefan Magdalinski m 0370 67 70 58