Subject: Re: UKNM: Half of UK sites are "broken"
From: Lee Rickler
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 19:46:47 +0100

>I do hope for your sake that you are spending more than 2 hours on QA and
>copy!! I cannot comprehend comprehensive QA taking 2 hours!! Is this the
>source of all the problems I wonder?? (I am not picking on you Lee)

In this case I was merely stating this:
Obviously basics like spell-checking should be carried out before
anything is put online, but, I needed to trawl through the whole site to
check for broken links and spelling.

The whole process, in which I used Cyberstudio, took around 10 mins. This
doesn't include fixing broken links, of which there weren't any, or
spelling mistakes.

I was merely pointing out the fact that even though a site gone gold it
still took me a very short time.

>QA is a comprehensive programme checking and analysis of all elements of
>the site not just on browser platforms but under different connection
>scenarios etc... etc... QA should happen over a 10 day to 2 week period
>minimum (that is not full-time work though) and allowing more time for
>changes.... This process is as important as any other part of a project
>prior to launch....

The site is, technically, very straightforward and connection speeds,
browser compatibility etc. are not really an issue. In the whole the site
consists of text and graphics.

Personally, at home, I work on a G3 mac @ 333mhz with a v90 Pace modem,
so connection is no problem. But I also have access to a Pentium PC, a
630 Performa Mac and a 386 PC for testing purposes. That said we have a
problem with some javascript on IE3, PC but i am working on a redesign
that will take this into consideration.

The project itself is getting very big, with some new elements coming up
in the next month so a redesign is needed anyway.

In case anybody is interested djindex.com takes around 15 hours a week
just of my time and there are 3 of us involved.

Thanks for your comments.

Lee

* -- leeaturbanmediadesigns [dot] com -- *
* -- urbanmediadesigns.com -- *
* -- djindex.com -- *
* -- summerfestivals.com -- *
* -- and soon ... releasethegroove.com -- *