Subject: Re: UKNM: ..end of the personal touch? (long fiction alert)
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:45:37 GMT

Jim Sterne <jsterneattargeting [dot] com> kindly gave us the benefit of his science
fiction writing and insight which all seemed plausible enough apart from one
thing:

>The next morning she doesn't need to report to her client, they'll know when
>they look at their server logs. She need only e-mail the invoice.

If everything else were automated, why on earth would you email the invoice?
I think I would be more inclined to automate the invoicing (which would
ideally be checked and paid automatically too) and keep the personal touch
for the morning's reports. Even if your cybermarketer were to only email the
comment "I am pleased to report the successful conclusion of your campaign
at hh:mm. Thanks again for your order..." if would be worth the <minute it
takes to write and send.

What new technology has ever, or could ever, abolish the need for customer
service?

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan +44 181 639 0015
Working for advertisers and agencies