Subject: RE: UKNM: Wimps?
From: Aidan Cook
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:23:52 GMT

> With one or two exceptions, the quality of postings on the list is
> *dire* at the moment, isn't it?

Although, when Mr.Sterne dropped his 'fiction' bomb, many considerations
which often surface here were present in the heroine's quest for adequate
response (yes, I actually read the whole thing...unless Sam 'moderated' it
somewhat...? I take your point that the level of debate is perhaps
disappointing.

[Sam says: not guilty m'lud.]

> And while we shoe-gaze, we are being colonised. Within hours of one
> other, Amazon arrives, Expedia arrives, Razorfish swallows up (sorry
> "merges with") Sunbather.
>
> Are we going to just lie down and take it? Do we suffer from a
> fundamental lack of ambition this side of the water?

Are we still worrying about being a "Great" nation, when we could be
concentrating on being a really *good* medium-sized partner within a
trading block?

In some respects, isn't it good news that these significant international
brands should chose us (the UK) as their portal (sorry) to the EU? If we
acknowledge that we are never going to have the investment or development
opportunities available in the US, should we not be proud that we have
produced jewels which are attractive enough to be bought by significant
companies?

You can interpret this as colonisation, or you can interpret it as
successful attraction of inward investment. A lack of 'unrealistic'
ambition may be no bad thing if it means that we attract real
opportunities.

> Richard Houston
> Brann.

I hope this passes the quality mark for the list (I'm wearing a tie if
that helps).

regards,

Aidan Cook
(sense internet)