Subject: RE: UKNM: Wimps?
From: Greg Baker
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:28:53 GMT

I can't help but agree with you on this Jamie.

For a truely adventurous Venture Capitalist the web in the UK (or
Europe) should look like a wonderful gamble. The investment isn't going
to be that huge on any single investment so you can afford to spread
your risk, and with the States as an example you can see a very
promising trend developing. Top that with the long self life of really
innovative technology (nothing like a good patent or two to keep the
bank happy) and any sane venture capitalist should be looking very hard
at the sector.

But getting hold of these enlightened people seems next to impossible,
it almost seems that the Venture has departed from the Capital in the
UK.

The real question is why - has the larger gains in the States drawn away
the talented money too?