Subject: Re: UKNM: Three cheers Amazon UK
From: Trevor May
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:26:37 GMT

Ray Taylor wrote:

> But I think the thing that impressed me most was the integrated invoice
> and address label, printed on a single sheet of A4 so that the label,
> complete with barcode, could be peeled off and stuck on the package.
> Online commerce is all about the back end logistics.

Yes, I was impressed by this too. Actually, both Amazon.com and
Bookpages have been doing it for some time. I'm not sure who did it
first, although I know who I'd place my bet on.

I wasn't so sure about the squishy mouse I received from them on their
launch though. How's a flexible representation of my much loathed
desktop rodent supposed to relate to online book selling again?

Maybe because they knew that people would toss it at colleague's heads
across the office who would then pick it up and react, "Mmm.
amazon.co.uk," and trip off to their workstation to buy books. A kind of
Isaac Newton effect I guess.

My, Amazon really do have it all figured out.

Have a good Halloween folks,

Trevor May
trevoratre-flex [dot] com
7 Ransome's Dock http://www.re-flex.com/
Parkgate Road Tel: +44 (0)171 801 0171
London SW11 4NP Fax: +44 (0)171 801 0181