Subject: Re: UKNM: Legal Responsibility of Content
From: Sam Michel
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:56:29 +0100

Hello Craig,

At 18:34 21/09/98 +0100, Craig Pickup wrote:
>I may be mistaken but my understanding is that if someone takes any role in
>policing content before it appears in a medium, then they become liable
for all
>the content appearing via that medium. This is an important area not just for
>its relevance in this list but for any area where the "public" are able to
>contribute content dynamically whether it be an email list or a web page.
They
>legal position is different I believe were a "moderator" takes action
after the
>publication of the content to remove it.
>
>Does anyone have a definitive position on this or know where there is further
>information to be had?

The last legal action I recall on this subject did suggest something along
these lines although I don't know whether it would stand up now. The
alternative scenario, which I may well have to now put in place is for each
person signing up to the list to be sent terms and conditions for use of
the list with a much more tightly defined list policy. I've seen this done
on a couple of American lists, but only a couple.

>Another interesting legal question often overlooked with email is whether
it is
>subject to the same rules of communication as other forms of business
>correspondence - for instance, should it carry company registration number
and
>registered address, etc? How do you differentiate between a private and
company
>email message when they are sent from the same address?

I don't think you can tell, as we all know email is insecure and can quite
easily be faked. There has to be a level of trust between parties using it
in a setting such as this. I don't want to even get into malicious use, I'm
sure you all can imagine some bad situations. The only real way to
differentiate between addresses would be to use PGP on all messages, but
it's hardly practical at this stage when most people aren't using it and
many can't figure out how to install it.

Toodle Pip

Sam
Chinwag - http://www.chinwag.com
ICQ Pager: 4561042