Subject: Re: UKNM: Legal Responsibility of Content
From: Daniel Bambach
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:56:55 +0100

In Craigs mail on this subject he said that responsibility for the content hosted on a mailing list (presumably extended to discussion forums etc) is aquired if the hosting party takes steps to police the content BEFORE it is published.

Does anyone know if this extends to content posted by the public to a bulletin board and then moderated post-posting by the site owner? ie in the process of removing obviously offensive emails.

dan.

At 07:44 PM 9/21/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Same problem as web site Forums/BBS's, if you remove SPAM, offensive posts,
>you are liable for all posts.
>
>But I'm sure we can all get along fine without getting Sam into trouble, if
>anyone thinks they can't then maby this is the wrong list for them,
>alt.misc.libel may be a better newsgroup ;-)
>
>[Sam says: much appreciate Jamie!]
>
>>I may be mistaken but my understanding is that if someone takes any role in
>>policing content before it appears in a medium, then they become liable
>for all
>>the content appearing via that medium. [snip]
>Jamie Unwin : jamieatnml [dot] guardian [dot] co [dot] uk : http://www.guardian.co.uk
>The Guardian : 3-7 Ray Street, London, EC1R 3DJ : Tel. 0171 713 4469
>jamieatjamie [dot] net : http://www.jamie.net : http://www.poke.com

Daniel Bambach
mob: 0958 341 258
fax: 0181 588 3634