Subject: Re: UKNM: Legal Responsibility of Content
From: Nabil Shabka
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:48:59 +0100

We run an email service and have been through a little of what is being
discussed on the legal side. Our understanding from our solicitors is
that electronic communication falls into two categories - publication
(like traditional media) and conduit. Conduits - Telcos, ISP's - are
safe if they merely move info around. Publication is another matter.
Unfortunately, as Sam is running this list and publishing letters, he
would probably be held liable but, only after he was asked to remove the
posting and failed to do so.

Don't sue me on this if you disagree.
--
Nabil Shabka