Subject: FW: UKNM: RE: DIXONS - FREE SHARE
From: Philip Rooke
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:49:01 +0100

In the last NOP Research (August 1998), the following question was
asked:

'Which factors will encourage you to start using, or increase your
current use of the internet?'

Amongst current users (16% of survey) the leading identifiable responses
were:

26% Lower cost of ISP subscription
20% Easier access
12% More relevant / useful info

Amongst those intending to start using the Internet (7% of the survey),
response were:

27% Learn more about it
22% Lower cost of ISP subscription
19% Easier access

In short 'free' is about as low cost as you can get and I hope, is going
to have an effect on Internet penetration and usage amongst the general
public. But, ease of access is still critical, and a leading
frustration.

But note that even current users want 'more useful / relevant info' &
those intenders are still unsure on what they are getting.

******* MAJOR POINT **********

Do we tend to get a little hung up on access, ISP's, OSP's, portals,
hubs, etc, etc?

The survey was 5,433 individuals, 76% of which do not use the internet
and don't intend to.

36% of those 'do not use and don't intend to' said they could see 'no
need / no use for it'. Only 4% of this group said 'Lower cost of ISP
subscription' mattered.

The key issue is going to be finding areas that will motive the public
to come on line and selling it to them.

Philip Rooke
Sales Director
Carlton Online